Good eye contact is a key to attachment. Here are some gentle ways to see eye to eye.
- Look through a glass of water at each other.
- Play that age old “Don’t Blink” game.
- Stand behind your child while looking into the bathroom mirror.
- Make funny, silly (not scary mean) faces at each other.
- Take your child out into the garden to stare down a caterpillar together.
- Paint each other’s faces.
- Smile into your child’s eyes.
Make some fun eye stuff up for yourself.
Just one no-no. Try very hard to never say in anger, “Look at me, look at my eyes!” From the very beginning in your home, your child has been learning to trust you. Look at your child with eyes soft like a mother or father’s toward a new born child. Angry, cold eyes hurt the soul.
Our monthly Adoptive Parent Support Group is every 2nd Wednesday of every month from 6pm to 8pm at 3406 American River Drive, Suite D, Sacramento, CA 95864. Child care provided at no cost. Sign up at www.attachplace.com.
You can find my book on Amazon.com or on my website. Don’t forget to leave a review on Amazon.
Our next 9a-5pm Trust-based Therapeutic Parent Training will be in January 2017. Stay tuned for exact date.