Upon Turning 18

As your attachment challenged child inches toward 18 years old, YOU have some work to do.
1. If you receive Adoption Assistance, your child can qualify for it to continue beyond 18 by simply applying for it.  You MUST apply for it BEFORE 18, because once it stops it’s gone.
2. If your child is not going to be able to launch successfully at 18, then start the Social Security Insurance application process (if you haven’t already) to get financial support upon reaching adulthood.
3. If your child qualifies for Regional Center support, then look into sheltered work, day programs, and independent living opportunities.
4. Your child can continue schooling in an independent living program beyond 18 through the IEP process. 
5. Community colleges have programs for special needs children.  YOU might be surprised at what you find your child is capable of doing at the college level.   
6. There are local guides for supporting your special needs children into adulthood.  The following resources are specific to my Sacramento/California area, and can be replicated in your area by typing into Google the resource title with your city’s name:
The Attach Place

The Attach Place
Center for Strengthening Relationships

Love Matters,

Ce Eshelman, LMFT

Love Matters Scholarship Fund can use your contributions.  Click here for more information.
Transitioning into adulthood requires planning. Know your child’s rights and resources.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.